Obtaining ample power output with the use of renewable energy sources is always a recommended approach. Though there are several renewable sources of energy, solar energy is incredible from which you can be converted into efficient electric power. Compared to gas generators, solar generators are more efficient. Unlike gas generators that are loud and burn fossil fuel, solar generators are noise-free and eco-friendly. Typically, a 500 Watt solar generator converts sun energy captured by solar panels into electrical power and then stores it in a battery, which can be used through an inverter later.
A small solar generator can be considered a blessing for outdoor usage and DIY projects. Generally, it works in combination with solar panels so that optimal power generation can be carried out. Let’s check out the details of these 500W solar generators, so you can end up with the best 500 Watt solar generator for your money.
List of The Best 500 Watt Solar Generator
Check out the thorough reviews of the best 500 Watt solar generator below.
When you wish to power many appliances with high efficiency, you can go for this Jackery power station. Its wide compatibility and high efficiency make it the best 500 Watt solar generator on this list. It is widely used for outdoor adventures, road trips, and camping.
It is built using the lithium-ion battery pack, within a safely engineered frame structure. So, the generated power lasts long whether you use it at home or for outdoor adventures. It is possible to pair the Explorer 500 with SolarSaga 100 solar panel to attain constant power directly from the Sun.
The solid handle streamlines the transportation of this 500 Watt solar generator. This is why it is a reliable alternative for road-trip, camping, RV, and home backup. The compact and rugged design ensures that it takes up less space. There is nothing on the exterior to scratch or break off when it comes in contact with nearby objects. Overall size is identical to a basketball, so it is easy to carry around.
The display indicates charge level, used wattage, and charging wattage. You get all important information like battery state of charge, charge and discharge rates, etc. The pure sine wave inverter offers a clean AC supply @ 110V, 60 Hz. The entire unit charges within 8 hours through the AC wall charger. Along with this Jackery 500 Watt solar generator, you get a car charger cable, an AC adapter, and a user manual.
- With the 518 Watt-hour (24Ah, 21.6V) capacity, this generator can power several appliances like TV, lamplight, projector, blanket, heater, etc.
- There is support for pass-through charging.
- For connecting external devices, it comes with 3 USB-A ports, an AC outlet, 2 DC ports, and a car port.
- The Battery Management System (BMS) controls each cell. It enhances the battery life cycle when being pass-through charged.
- Various protection features that BMS brings are over-current protection, short-circuit protection, over-discharge protection, over-charge protection, over-voltage protection, and thermal protection.
Pros And Cons
BLUETTI AC50S portable solar power station comes with a 500 Wh/300 W rating. It is renowned for maintaining a good balance between size and output power. The AC wave is extremely accurate. The included monocrystalline silicon cells offer 5% more efficiency than traditional monocrystalline. Built-in MPPT controller allows recharging from the solar panel and AC wall outlet. The ETFE lamination offers excellent light transmittance. It is scratch-proof, durable, and quite easy to clean using a wet cloth.
Weighing only 9.48 lbs, it feels extremely comfortable to carry around. The foldable design with a handle simplifies its movement around. So, you can conveniently carry it for outdoor camping. Moreover, it is effortless to vary the alignment using the included kickstands. In the pack, you get all the accessories and a 120W foldable solar panel.
- The maximum voltage, current, and power values are respectively 40V, 10A, and 120W.
- Two 120V pure sine wave AC outlets come with a continuous 300W power rating. They can continuously load devices with a maximum rating of 300 W.
- Multiple outputs are available for powering different devices. They include two DC ports (12V/3A), a DC car port (12V/10A), four USB-A ports (5V/3A), two AC outlets (120V), and a PD 45W Type-C port.
- There is the use of superior quality EV-grade 3C battery cells. It guarantees long life, good stability, and better heat dissipation.
- Battery Management System (BMS) allows temperature control voltage/current control, and more cutting-edge safety functions.
Pros And Cons
Charge your different appliances without worrying about their safety with this Baldr 500w solar power station. Its multiple safety features and wide compatibility makes it one of the best 500 Watt solar generator. It is a 500W/519Wh solar generator with multiple ports. These ports come in handy to charge appliances like laptops, TVs, phones, projectors, car vacuums, car coolers, etc.
For voltage stabilization, a CPAP battery (DC to DC) is included. It provides a 12V regulated output that keeps the output voltage constant. It ensures stable charging throughout the day. Moreover, a pure sine wave inverter produces a smooth current and decreases noise during the operation. The display depicts the input power, connected load, and battery percentage.
- An automatic power-saving function is implemented. When there is zero output or the output wattage is lower than5W for3+ hours, it will automatically shut off the power station. Hence, the battery drain issue is eliminated.
- With Baldr120W solar panels, you can build a solar generator to store electricity during usage.
- For car charging, you can use a car cigarette lighter DC that offers full charging within 12 hours.
- For AC charging, you can use a wall AC outlet that offers full charging within 7 hours.
- BMS is equipped with seven protection features. They are temperature control, over current, low/high voltage control, overcharging, overload protection, short circuit, and low battery alarm.
- Lighting modes available are SOS and flashlight.
- Connectivity options include a 14V/8A cigarette lighter, three 5V/9V/12V USB ports, a PD3.0 60W port, and two 110V AC outlets.
Pros And Cons
The 518.4Wh lithium-ion battery pack in this portable power station makes it highly efficient. This battery offers enough power to charge multiple devices simultaneously. You can charge your laptop, phone, TV, tablet, LED light, digital camera, mini-fridge, etc. A silent off-grid power backup is included. Enjoy the ease of transportation with the included carrying bag. The weight is just 8.8 lbs, so this 500W portable power station is easy to move around. The solid handle adds to the portability. The incorporated LED flashlight comes with SOS mode, Strong, and Strobe mode. So, it makes you feel more convenient during home power outages and outdoor activities. LCD screen precisely shows the power status. Accessories in the pack are an AC adapter, a car charger cable, a solar charging cable (MC4), a user guide, and a nylon bag.
- Built-in MPPT controller enables the solar generator to receive 20% faster solar charge rates from the solar panels, for 5-6 hours.
- 4 charging methods supported are wall plug, solar panel, car charger, and generator.
- Recharging by AC wall outlet takes 7-8 hours to fully recharge.
- Full recharging through the car outlet takes 9-10 hours.
- The BMS system offers functions like overheating protection, overcharging protection, over current protection, and short circuit protection.
- 12V pure sine wave ensures device safety and stability while charging; no worries about damage.
Pros And Cons
This MAXOAK 500w portable power station comes in handy for different power outage occasions. You can use it while you are stuck in floods, hurricanes, Tornadoes, etc. Due to its compact design, you can carry it for adventure and road travel. The flexible charging options simplify your outdoor adventures.
The PD 45W supports a fast charge mode to charge your phone or laptop. Other available ports save you time and can charge a wide range of devices. MAXOAK prioritizes safety when designing this generator. It equips it with high-quality flame-retardant material and a soft glue design. The excellent protection makes it one of the best 500 Watt solar generator. You get an AC adapter & cable, a car charging cable, a solar charging cable, a USB Type-C cable, and a user manual.
- The Battery Management System makes its operation eco-friendly, noise-free, and with zero-emission. It employs temperature control, current/voltage control, and other advanced safety functions.
- Various recharging methods allowed are solar, AC, car recharge.
- From a wall outlet, it takes up to 6.5 hours to fully recharge this power station.
- From an SP120 solar panel, it takes up to 6 hours to fully recharge this power station.
- The included auto-level battery cell offers low heat generation, high discharge rate, and 1000+ hours lifecycle.
Pros And Cons
OKPRO solar generator can be safely carried anywhere you go. It is a perfect companion for emergency backup and outdoor adventures. OKPRO 500W solar generator can charge 8 moblie devices at the same time, it comes with 2x500W AC outlet, 1x60W PD type-c port, 1x 45W PD type-c port, 2xQC 3.0 USB port, a car socket, and DC port. Any compatible 100W solar panel can be utilized to charge this generator and it can be fully charged in a maximum of 8 hours.
- Multiple ways of charging include pure sine wave, 60 lithium battery cells, and a regulated 12V power supply.
- The implemented battery management system (BMS) prolongs the battery life through over-current protection, short circuit protection, overvoltage protection, overload protection, and overheating protection.
- The BMS offers better battery utilization and prolongs the battery life.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best 500 Watt Solar Generator?
Without getting confused and wasting time, you can simply glance at the below section to filter your selection for the best 500 Watt solar generator.
1. Types of the solar panel
Before proceeding with the purchase of a 500W solar generator, it is better to be acquainted with its types. Without knowing its type, you may end up with the wrong selection that ultimately turns your investment futile. Fundamentally, 3 types of solar panels are prevalent. These types exist depending on the type of solar cells being used. They are described below.
i. Monocrystalline solar panels
Single crystal silicon is used in these panels and they feature a consistent lattice structure. Usually, they are available in black color. The atypical homogeneous structure aids the electrons to travel efficiently and therefore provides more power efficiency. Comparatively, monocrystalline solar panels are more efficient and occupy less space. Also, they come with a longer life span.
ii. Poly crystalline solar panels
Available in dark blue color, these panels feature non-homogeneous structures with several crystal fusions. A little space is allotted for the electrons to travel and so, they are less efficient.
iii. Thin-film solar panels
These panels are prepared by depositing semiconductor material on a ceramic substrate. Special metals are employed as a thin layer like paint over the substrate. The cost is relatively low but the space occupied is more. Furthermore, these panels degrade faster than other types.
2. Power conversion efficiency
A typical 500W solar generator provides efficiency that ranges from 15% to 21%. The efficiency here is defined by the ratio of solar energy that strikes the surface of the panel to the electric energy generated. To obtain higher efficiency, more watts of electricity should be generated per square meter.
The smaller 500W solar generators generate more electricity and need less space. But the only drawback is they are expensive.
3. Temperature coefficient
Because solar generators rely on sunlight for the energy source, occasionally, the cells are exposed to extreme heat. When the temperature goes extremely high, it may cause damage. Also, the power efficiency declines to a limited time. Usually, the temperature coefficient varies from 0 and 0.5. The power output will be higher when the coefficient value reaches closer to 0.
FAQs When Picking The Best 500 Watt Solar Generator
1. How long does the best 500 Watt solar generator last?
A classic portable generator station can usually last in the range of 3 hours to 13 hours when the battery is fully charged. So, the best one can last for up to 13 hours. The battery life relies on the battery type, size, and several electronic devices being used with the generator station.
2. How many solar panels can be connected together on a rooftop?
You can either have five 100 watt solar panels or two 250 watt solar panels stringed together on a rooftop.
3. How do solar panels work in solar generators?
The solar panels in a solar generator gather the solar energy and store it in the constructed batteries of the engine. Subsequently, the converter transforms the power from DC to AC prior to discharging it.
4. What is the importance of the charge controller?
The charge controller is vital to regulate and pass the ideal amount of energy to prevent any damage. Also, it ensures good durability. For example, a 30A charge controller will be enough to control a 500W solar panel.
5. Which type of battery is recommended for a 500 Watt solar generator?
It is better to choose Lithium-ion batteries compared to a lead-acid battery. This is because they feature a lightweight design and need less maintenance. Moreover, they come with a longer lifespan.
6. What is the role of an inverter in a solar generator?
The inverter decides the amount of continuous electricity which can be used. A 500W solar generator needs an inverter with a minimum of 400W or higher.
With the best 500 Watt solar generator, you can perceive efficient power conversion to electric energy, anywhere. Not only they are famous for high efficiency but they are portable, easy to install, stable, and can connect various types of devices. Most of the topmost 500W solar generators are implemented with multiple safety features for complete protection throughout the operation.
Enjoyed this? Then be sure to check out our other guide of the Best 100W Portable Solar Panel.